Why is it important for a child to see the dentist by the time their first tooth erupts or by their first birthday???
The answer is simple…because the best form of pediatric dentistry is PREVENTIVE and PROACTIVE! We want the opportunity to prevent cavities long before they start. This occurs through proper EDUCATION, COLLABORATION, and EXAMINATION. This is a real movement to ensure every child stays CAVITY-FREE and HEALTHY!!!
Parenting is stressful. No matter how you spin it, as parents we worry about our children. Worry and stress become a normal part of life. Is my child safe? Healthy? Developing mentally and physically as they should? There are a million other questions I could add to this list. The bottom line is, we all want our children to be safe and supported. So…let me offer this to all of the parents reading this blog. Let the pediatric dentist help resolve some of the worry you have in life. Allow us to be involved from an early age developing an individual plan for you and your children to make sure we avoid cavities and guide permanent teeth into the best position possible!
And please take note, if your child is over the age of 1 and they haven’t seen a dentist yet, there’s no reason to feel bad and there will be no judgment passed. We’re excited and ready to see children of all ages!!!
Did you know The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommends every child visit a pediatric dentist by the time they get their first tooth or by the age of 1? Just like we take our children to a pediatrician because they specialize in our little ones, pediatric dentists receive two years of additional training so we can ensure every tiny mouth is healthy. Here are some even more exciting reasons to take your child by the age of 1!
- Stress-Free and Fun! We want to get to you know you and your kiddos early on so your first visit can be stress-free and fun. The earlier we develop a relationship and get your child accustomed to being in a dental office, the better their future dental experiences will be. There will always be a transition period when introducing a child to something new, so let’s make that occur as an infant. That way, when your child is a toddler they’ll be the perfect dental patient (And as parents, you can sit back and enjoy your coffee rather than worrying about the dental appointment!).
- Prevention! It has been reported that more than 28 percent of children have cavities by the time they reach kindergarten. But here’s the good news! Early education about the importance of good oral health is effective in prevention! Visits to the dentist can teach parents how best to take care of their child’s teeth and help to build healthy habits.
- Stay in School! Good oral health results in less school days missed, less work missed by parents and less costly treatment. Did you know there are a reported 51 million hours of school missed each year by children due to dental cavities? Children without cavities will have more time to learn and develop, allowing them to grow into the amazing young adults they deserve to be!
So you might be wondering, what does a dental visit look like for a 1-year-old? Let me reassure you, we will do everything possible to make the appointment relaxing and enjoyable! Here are some highlights of a first dental visit:
- Developing a Relationship! We will take the time to know you and your child on a personal level. We want to understand your concerns and answer any questions you may have.
- Examination and Brushing! A thorough examination, cleaning, and placement of vitamins will be completed all while the patient is in the comforting arms of Mom or Dad! We will then review the results as a team.
- Summary and Individualized Plan! The end of the appointment will involve a summary and an individual plan to help ensure your child stays cavity-free for the remainder of his/her life!
At Timber Kids Dentistry, we are teaching children to BE BRAVE, to BE ADVENTUROUS, to BE HAPPY…and to take pride in their beautiful smiles! We can’t wait to collaborate with you and your young one to guide them on a cavity-free journey through life!